Duncan Garden was originally called the Sunken Garden. The garden became 'sunken' when Manito's first superintendent, Charles Balzer, hauled out 42,500 wagon loads of loam that were used in the gardens of all the city's parks.
The formal garden was designed and built in 1912 by John Duncan, Manito's second superintendent. The garden was designed in a classical European Renaissance style with bilateral symmetry, a central water feature, and geometrical planting beds.
The garden spans three acres and includes manicured turf areas and a vast display of colorful annual bedding plants. There are more than 20 plants species in the garden, including traditional varieties as well as the latest hybrids available.
The center of the garden is highlighted by a large granite fountain that was the gift of Mrs. L. M. Davenport in memory of her late husband who was a member of the park board for many years. The fountain is made of 'Mt. Airy' light gray granite, surmounted by a bronze feature representing three swans.
In 1941 the garden was renamed to honor John Duncan, park superintendent from 1910 to 1942. To celebrate Manito's centennial in 2004, The Friends of Manito and The Associated Garden Clubs of Spokane constructed a gazebo at the south end of the garden.
To learn more about getting married at Duncan Garden, please read Manito Park Wedding Policy.